60 W Randolph Street, Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60601

TOLL FREE 833-462-4200

How Can I Cover the Costs of Treatment for My Child’s Spina Bifida?

Posted on in Birth Injury

"chicago Spina bifida is a serious birth defect that can affect a child throughout their life. If your child is born with spina bifida—especially open spina bifida or myelomeningocele—they may need extensive medical care and treatment immediately after birth and as they grow older. This treatment can be extremely expensive, and you may be concerned about your ability to cover the costs. Fortunately, there are a variety of financial resources that may be available to you.

What Are the Treatments for Spina Bifida?

There are a few different types of spina bifida, and the necessary treatment depends in large part on the severity of the type that your child has. One of the most common treatments for spina bifida is surgery early in the child’s life, or even before birth. Doctors may be able to perform surgery to close the spine, repair a tethered spinal cord, or drain fluid from the brain that accumulates due to the condition.

Children with spina bifida will also need regular health check-ups to monitor their condition and identify any new treatment needs. Children with more severe forms of spina bifida may have limited mobility or paralysis, so they may require ongoing physical therapy as well as equipment to assist with movement regular bathroom functions, including a wheelchair, walker, crutches, and catheter.

Financial Resources for Parents

While health insurance can cover some of the treatment costs for spina bifida, premiums and out-of-pocket expenses can be a difficult burden for parents. Parents who need to care for a child with spina bifida may also be unable to hold regular employment and earn sufficient income. It is important to be aware of the available resources that can alleviate your financial struggles.

It is often possible to receive assistance through government benefits. A child with a disability may qualify for Social Security disability benefits and Medicaid, especially if the child comes from a low-income family. Other benefits like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can help families of children with spina bifida cover living expenses. Non-profit organizations like the UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation also provide grants for families in need.

Contact a Chicago Birth Injury Attorney

A birth defect like spina bifida can cause many concerns for parents, including not only the financial costs but also the child’s happiness and well-being. At Birth Injury Law Alliance, Ltd., we sympathize with parents’ concerns and dedicate ourselves to helping in any way we can. We can help you determine your eligibility for financial relief through government or non-profit assistance, or through legal avenues like a medical negligence claim. Call us today at 312-462-4200 to request a free consultation with our Illinois birth injury lawyers.





Back to Top